Stacked in Our Favor


Thoughts about libraries, education, children's literature, writing, art and being connected







Sunday, February 3, 2008

Random Technology Comment #3

Ok, so despite the fact that it was a crazy week, I did manage to read a couple of books this week. Don't even ask me how I fit that in. One of the books I wanted to share as it seems to go so well with thinking about web 2.0.

The Secret Blog of Raisin Rodriguez by Judy Goldschmidt. The font size and the page spacing help make this an enjoyable, quick read. 12-year-old Raisin moves to Philadelphia from Berkeley, CA. She keeps a blog to keep her 2 best friends in Berkeley current on the ups and downs of her life. Naturally, chaos ensues. Won't tell you more - you'll want to read it yourself. Personally, I was a little confused about what grade level I would recommend this for. I'd love to know what other people think.

It made me think that it would be great to compile a list of fiction books which deal with technology and ethics, internet safety and technology in life for our digital natives. They may adapt quickly, but they still need so much time to think about the issues. Intellectual property and safety are the issues I'm most concerned our students are exposed to. Anyone have any suggestions. I'll post the list if there are enough comments.

No comments: