Stacked in Our Favor


Thoughts about libraries, education, children's literature, writing, art and being connected







Sunday, February 6, 2011

Other Thinking Chairs

I gave plenty of thought to where I am most creative during the month of November. Spurred to reflection by Dana Cary’s post about her “thinking chair” I made my own chair complete with floral print quilt and tassled, fuzzy, pink throw. The time I spent in that chair was highly productive (and sometimes relaxing), but I discovered that I have several other, more public thinking spots. These are places I go to write. Places where my mess doesn’t come along and taunt me. Places where the dishes are for someone else to worry about. Places where I am virtually alone.

I love writing in coffee shops and tea rooms. I don’t drink coffee, preferring tea in a tea cup, if possible. I am fortunate to have found a quiet one where I go almost every week to write. Those around me can tell if I missed my weekly sojourn because I’m grumpier than usual and out of sorts. The view is marvelous.


Libraries are another place I love to go write. There is usually a spot where I can spread out far more than I need to. The best thing, though, is that there are none of those piles of paper distracting me. Just me and a clear table space. That makes for ease of concentration.

I try to keep my desk clean. Really, I do. But there are the receipts to go through, the new Booklist and Horn Book Magazines, scraps of paper with curriculum ideas and cords from various electronic gadgets. There is usually a pile of books to review and a bag of books to return to my public library. I’ll forgive the public librarian if her or his desk looks like the one I have at home. I won’t bat an eyelash if it’s a tripping zone in the back office. Keep a table clear in the reference section or tucked away in a corner for me, though, and I’ll be your friend forever. 

2 comments:

Dana Carey said...

Love this, Lynda! You're absolutely right. When my daughter was younger I drove her to various activities and instead of driving back & forth twice, I waited in the car or in some little nook. I accomplished a lot in these little time frames. No distractions and time to fill. Trains are great for me too.

Lynda Shoup said...

Glad you enjoyed these thoughts. As you point out, using that "found" time is a great way to get things done. Though I've spent a lot of time on trains, I found the only thing I could do on them was read or sleep (Both are favorite activities) I marvel if you can write on trains. Ideas fly, but pen resists.